Te Ranga School History 1927- to present day.
1927: In 1927 a new school was built by the Education Board on ground purchased from Mr. J. Gordon for £20 an acre. The story goes that land was offered to the school by Mr. Jenkins and Mr. Murray further up the road, but for reasons unknown it was not taken up. The school went from strength to strength.
1960: The addition of a tennis court and swimming pool was an asset to all the residents of upper Te Matai Road.
1965: A school bus and shed were in use for the school.
1967: The toilets were moved inside! Wow!
1973: Te Puke Intermediate School opened but Te Ranga decided that the year 7 and 8 children would remain at this school.
1976: First plantings of native trees on west side of school.
1977: The 1977 Jubilee was held on the 8th October.
1979/ 1980: A new classroom was built (Room 2). Over the summer, a new staff room, book room, staff toilet, aluminium window frames and walkway to new classroom were built.
1982: Sandpit was built.
1989: First Board of Trustees meeting was held following introduction of “Tomorrow’s Schools” – Steve Callander, Chairperson.
1992: Adventure playground constructed.
1995: A four term year introduced. The school sign above the entrance was made and donated by Darrell Cotter. The deliberately rough sawn “Te Ranga School” sign was hacked out and inscribed with a chainsaw from a limb of a 75 year old macrocarpa, planted in the 1920s by Hans Keith the original settler.
Te Ranga Hall was re-sited beside the school hall on a piece of land donated by Peter Mark and Megan Richards. This has been a wonderful asset for both the community and the school.
1997: New Classroom (Room 3) arrived after much lobbying to the Ministry of Education by the Board of Trustees. Wyatt Creech (The Minister Of Education at the time) paid a visit to the school and witnessed for himself the cramped conditions that the staff were working under.
1998: First “Te Ranga School Possum Hunt”. This annual fundraising event on the Te Ranga School calendar had humble beginnings back in in 1998 when a parent at a “Friends of Te Ranga” meeting suggested having a possum hunt to raise funds. The fundraising committee took up the idea and a good concept turned into an extremely successful source of funds for the school. The hunt involves teams of up to four entrants spending a weekend in June or early July, either shooting, trapping and/or poisoning as many possums as they can. The weekend culminates with the breakfast and prizegiving at the Te Ranga Hall on the Sunday morning where a large array of team and spot prizes are given out to the hunters. Long may it be a great fundraiser for Te Ranga School – the ‘possum school’.
1999: Sun hats were added to the school uniform. The uniform is forest green with gold trim. The polo shirts, sweat shirts and track pants bear the ‘Harrier Hawk’ emblem.
2000: A large garden development was undertaken by Julie-Ann Hawkey assisted by a small team of planters.
2002: Te Ranga School had its 75th Jubilee.
2006: Principal Gary Veysi started. Junior playground developed. Multi purpose space was built, including Library, Storage space and classroom (Room 4).
2007: Astro-turf courts were completed. Playground upgraded. New P.E shed constructed. Janet Blaauw and Sarah Colman started their teaching careers. Te Ranga School reached 100+ students, gaining us a 5th teacher. Bush area developed. Heat pumps were installed in all classes. We are all now warm and cosy in the winter months and cool, calm and collected in the summer months.
2008: Te Matai Cove complex built with a toilet block, kitchen, Deputy Principal office, computer suite and classroom (Room 5). Car parking increased. Te Ranga became an Enviroschool and gained a bronze medal. Bio-Tech park constructed. Website up and running. All classrooms now have Interactive Whiteboards.
2009: 20 small laptops with webcams purchased with funds donated by The Friends of Te Ranga Fundraising Group and TECT. Te Matai decking, walkways and ampitheatre completed. Bridie Barton started her teaching career. School house was upgraded.
2010: Work done on covered walkways between classrooms. Te Ranga Hall had a major upgrade bringing the facility up to a fantastic standard. The hall can now be used for music, drama and dance in an up to the minute fashion. Rooms have also been added to store the schools amazing array of costumes.
2011: Erin Hall appointed as year 7-8 teacher, and permanent staff member. (Left end of 2012) Helen Parry on 1 year study leave. (Left end of 2011) Jacqui Conner appointed year 1-2 teacher, fixed term positon for 3 terms 2011. Eileen Hansen on 3 term study leave, returns to school 4th term 2011. Richard Reid started his teaching career and was appointed year 5/ 6 teacher, fixed term position for 2011 and 2012. (Left end of 2012 for a Principals position.)
2012: 85th Jubilee Celebrated. Each child planted a native tree in the north side of our bush area. Flying fox was built in bush area. Junior sandpit upgraded. Eileen Hansen gains Reading Recovery Qualification.
2013: Glen Nicholson appointed as year 7-8 teacher, and permanent staff member. James Kerr appointed as year 5-6 teacher, fixed term position for 2013.
2014: Gary Veysi was appointed a position as principal of Maraetai Beach School in Auckland. Brendan Wilson is appointed new Principal at Te Ranga School. Gardens at the back of school were upgraded by Isaac Toi and Rob McClintock. The SNUP upgade was made to bring Te Ranga’s internet connection and wiring up to standard.